Dear Severn Families,
I write to provide two updates.
Reopening of School Considerations:
Thank you to those who filled out the return to campus survey. The survey results showed that over 90% of families in all three divisions would send their child(ren) to on-campus classes prior to the development of a vaccine or treatment for COVID-19.
We are continuing to monitor the progress of the Coronavirus, and are hopeful we will be able to accommodate students on campus in some fashion beginning in early September. Given the current capacity and social distancing restrictions we must adhere to, we simply cannot have all students on campus at one time, making a hybrid model the likely decision for grades 2 through 12.
Because of the unique learning needs of PS-1st grade, we are looking at reconfiguring classrooms at the Chesapeake Campus to accommodate nearly all students on campus after an initial gradual entry to instruct them in health and safety protocols. With this said, we encourage parents of younger students to continue to think through child care arrangements should there be a need to switch to a hybrid or fully remote model.
The hybrid model we are considering for grades 2-12 would allow students to attend school on campus for part of the week (2 or 3 days depending on the week) and will be able to attend classes remotely using technology on the remaining days. This plan allows us to return to school while abiding by the capacity restrictions and social distancing expectations that currently exist in Maryland.
These plans are still tentative as we continue to monitor the Coronavirus outbreak and the health and safety guidelines outlined by the CDC, WHO, and State of Maryland. We will communicate details of our plan and other safety policies and measures by Monday, August 3.
Again, I must emphasize, any plans made at this time, on August 3rd or after may change given the fluid nature of the pandemic.
Interscholastic Athletics for grades 7 -12
The IAAM and MIAA announced today a delay in opening athletic practices and contests for the fall. The new tentative start date for practices is Tuesday, September 1 with a tentative start date for interscholastic contest of Monday, September 21.
While certainly disappointing for many athletes, the leagues focus is on the health and safety of its athletes and coaches.
A Joint Statement on IAAM/MIAA Fall Interscholastic Sports
In an ongoing effort to mitigate health risks while supporting student-athletes, the IAAM and MIAA will be delaying the start of the Fall Preseason until on or after Tuesday, September 1, 2020.
At this time, we anticipate that league play will commence on or after September 21, 2020. Revised schedules will be issued to keep within the projected timeline for fall athletics.
The IAAM and MIAA will continue to reevaluate the viability of interscholastic competition for the fall season. The Board of Governors of both leagues will meet again in mid-August. Blackout periods and out of season practice policies will be waived until further notice.
The IAAM and MIAA share a common commitment to athletics as an extension of the educational process. Participation in healthy athletic practices provides our student-athletes opportunities to compete, build character, acquire, and improve skills, demonstrate leadership, and have fun. Both leagues hope to honor this commitment and, at the same time, keep athletes and their coaches as healthy as possible.