|Lower School Grandfriends' Day|
8:30 AM to 11:00 AM
LS Grandfriends' Day: 4/3
One of our favorite days is coming up soon! Invitations will be mailed to LS parents and grandfriends this month for the Severn LS Grandfriends' Day, which will take place on Friday, April 3.
Do we have your grandfriend's address? Not sure?
Please send the following no later than Monday 2/23
to Alison Hall
so we can be certain to invite your child's grandparent or grandfriend:
- the name of your grandparent or grandfriend
- his/her/their mailing address
- the name of your student(s)
The Schedule for Friday, April 3
- 7:45a – Shuttle buses from Jones Station Road Park and Ride begin. Shuttle buses will be provided from the Park and Ride at the intersection of Baltimore Annapolis Boulevard and Jones Station Road. Shuttles will begin running at 7:45am and will continue to run throughout the morning for transportation to and from campus. Parking on campus is not available due to extremely limited space constraints. Please call the School in advance if parking is required on campus for grandparents with special needs.
- 7:45 – 8:30a – Arrival and refreshments
- 8:30a – Welcome to Severn’s Lower School
- 8:45a – Student performance
- 9:30 – 11:00a – Classroom visits, tours and faculty introductions
IMPORTANT NOTATION: If your child(ren) will be leaving school with his/her Grandfriend on April 3, and if that individual is not on the list of adults authorized to pick up your child(ren), you must inform the School of your intent by providing his/her name to Ms. Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, but no later than 9:00a on April 3.
|Upper School International Night|
Location: McCleary Student Center
Register for event
Please join Severn’s Upper School for our first annual International Night on Saturday, April 11 from 7 - 9:00p in Bauer Dining Hall and Price Auditorium.
The Multicultural Alliance Club, led by Chyiane Bynum '15, Trayshelle Cherry '15 and Archer Willauer '16, is combining forces with the French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese Clubs to provide an evening of food, entertainment and fun. Other student groups also will participate.
* make enough to share small portions for 50
* provide an ingredient list (essential for those with food allergies)
* create a poster/info board (optional): map, flag, fun facts (population, native language, traditions)
* bring other artifacts from the culture (optional)
* wear cultural attire (optional)
6:00: set up
8:00: entertainment – be prepared to join the fun and sing or dance along…
9:00: clean up
"There are not many events where Upper School parents can interact with their children," reflected Chyiane. "We hope to see you there and that you'll help us to make this a wonderful tradition for Severn."
|Astle Speaker Céline Cousteau|
Register for event
2015 Astle Speaker Céline Cousteau
Severn School is delighted to announce that this year's Astle Lecture speaker is Céline Cousteau
, the daughter of ocean explorer Jean-Michel Cousteau and granddaughter of legendary explorer and filmmaker Jacques Cousteau.
Cousteau will talk with students during the school day on Tuesday, April 14,
and then address the community at large that evening beginning at 7:30p i
n the Edward St. John Athletic Center. The event is free and open to the public. Attendees must register through the school’s website.
As one of the premier environmental speakers in the industry, Cousteau brings wit, wisdom, and insight, showing all audiences why the Earth and its unique ecosystems deserve every citizen's respect and attention.
Cousteau will tell stories from her many explorations forging her own trail on unique solo expeditions. Sharing her unique personal photographs, she captivates audiences with her incredible voyages into the deep.
|Water Street Players Presents Lord of the Flies|
Location: Price Auditorium
Everyone's invited to come see the sure-to-be remarkable production of Lord of the Flies on Thursday and Friday, April 16 and 17 at 7:30p or on Sunday, April 19 at 5:00p.
An adaptation by Nigel Williams of William Golding's famous novel, the play has been described as 'remarkably true to the novel in spirit . . . You end up feeling you have seen a fable of infinite implications enacted in a little room.'
*This play contains mature content and may not be suitable for children under the age of 12.
Admission is $10. Severn faculty and students are free. Reserve your seat now.
|Parent Forum - Understanding Child and Adolescent Anxiety|
Location: Woods Memorial Church
Register for event
All Severn parents are invited to attend the next Parent Forum with guest speaker Dr. Gina Santoro: Thursday, April 16 from 8:15—9:15a at Woods Memorial Church, Fellowship Hall. REGISTER NOW
Dr. Santoro will help parents better understand childhood and adolescent anxiety and offer tips and tools to support their children.
Dr. Santoro is a licensed psychologist, as well as a state and nationally certified school psychologist. Having also worked in hospitals and schools, Dr. Santoro currently maintains a private practice in both Ellicott City and Annapolis and spends one day a week in a charter school. The majority of her clients are children and adolescents with anxiety.
Counseling department parent forums typically take a seminar-type format and feature a pre-established topic or presenter. These forums offer parenting tips and tools, educate about developmental norms for children and adolescents, and provide opportunities for parents in our community to connect with one another and with the counselors in all three divisions.
|Severn School Auction - All Bets on Severn|
Register for event
Mark your calendar for the evening of Saturday, April 18, for a fun night with a purpose.
All Bets on Severn, the APA’s largest fundraiser of the year, brings together parents, alumni, staff and friends for special night of fun and fundraising. This year’s event is especially significant for our community as it marks the first auction of our Chesapeake and Teel Campuses together as one school. This year’s fabulous event will be held under tent at our Chesapeake Campus.
How can you help?
- Most importantly, plan on attending! Invitations—including an early-bird discounted ticket -- will be mailed later this month and available online through the web site.
- The auction committee is also looking for donations to support the event. A range of items from vacation homes, restaurant gift certificates, and more will be included in the auction. To make a donation or sponsor an event, please click on the following links:
We look forward to seeing you in April!